The Double H Ranch is ending 2012 with their ‘Give the Gift of Magic’ fundraiser to help children with life-threatening illnesses have a better holiday season and help fund the Double H Ranch. All donations will help support year-round programming and ensure that magic continues to happen at the Double H Ranch FREE of charge for children and their families.
One way you can help the Double H Ranch is to sponsor a camper cabin which will help maintain cabins and program areas making the Double H a home away from home; funding of a summer counselor or the maintenance of the aquatics or archery programs; and other unique sponsorship opportunities. I wanted to find more about their ‘Give the Gift of Magic’ fundraiser and other ways someone can donate to their foundation. I was able to ask Kim Checchia, the Communications Coordinator of Double H Ranch, a few questions to find out some more information.
- Can you tell us what the Double H Ranch means to you? Kim: The mission of the Double H Ranch is to provide specialized programs and year-round support for children and their families dealing with life-threatening illnesses. Our purpose is to enrich their lives and provide camp experiences that are memorable, exciting, fun, empowering, physically safe and medically sound. All programs are FREE of charge and capture the magic of the Adirondacks.
- How did the Double H Ranch start?Kim: The Double H Ranch, located in New York’s Adirondack Park, is a demonstration of the commitment and generosity of philanthropist Charles R. Wood and actor Paul Newman. Since the Double H officially opened its doors on July 4, 1993, it has served over 20,000 children dealing with life-threatening illnesses.
- What does Double H offer for winter programs?Kim: The Double H Ranch provides a Summer Residential Camp, an Adaptive Winter Sports Program and Spring and Fall Family Programming. We are getting ready for another successful season on the slopes. Winter 2013 is just around the corner. With a fresh shine on Charley’s Chalet and a new coat of paint on the lift, it is only a matter of time before snow is being made and Robb Run is being groomed. Our volunteer instructors are honing their skills and completing their training in anticipation of the arrival of our Winter Students. Soon the slopes with be filled with smiling faces and the sound of laughter.
- What is the ‘Give the Gift of Magic’ promotion you are currently running?Kim: As 2012 comes to a close the Double H Ranch is able to reflect on the success of this past year and begin to plan for the year ahead. This year the Double H Ranch celebrated a significant milestone in its history — the 20th year of Making Dreams a Reality for our campers and their families. This holiday season ‘Give the Gift of Magic’ and make a difference in the life of a child dealing with a life-threatening illness by sponsoring one of the unique end-of-year giving opportunities. Your donation will help support year-round programming and ensure that magic continues to happen at the Double H Ranch FREE of charge for children and their families.
- Where do you receive your funding from?Kim: The Development team at Double H generates approximately $3.2 million in revenue annually from individuals, corporations, foundations, and organizations. Approximately two percent, of the Double H Ranch’s annual operating budget is covered by donations from co-founders Paul Newman’s and Charley Wood’s Foundations, Newman’s Own and Charles R Wood Foundation.
- How close are you to reaching your annual budget goal?Kim: All programs are FREE of charge to campers and families, therefore each year the Double H Ranch relies on the support of individuals, corporations, civic organizations and foundations to help meet the 3.2 million dollar annual operating budget.
- How many campers do you expect to be there in 2013?Kim: During the summer of 2012 the Double H Ranch served 885 children and annually serves over 2,000 children and their family members.
- If you could describe the Double H Ranch in one word, what would it be? Kim: Magical!
- Is it easy to make a donation?Kim: You can donate online at the Double H website or by calling 518-696-5921
- In addition to monetary donations, how else can someone show their support for the Double H Ranch?Kim: The Double H Ranch offers a variety of volunteer opportunities during our Adaptive Winter Sports Program (January-April), our Summer Residential Camp Program (June-August), and during our Spring and Fall Family Programming. We also encourage individuals, schools, businesses and civic organizations to participate in fundraising/special events and Helping Hands Community work days.