Did you know that you should try to keep snowshoe tracks and ski tracks separate on trails if possible? Check out other winter hiking and recreating notices and info, along with weather reports for the Adirondacks this weekend.
Let It Snow, Let It Snow
- Crown Point: Fri 39° and snow, Sat 28° and partly cloudy, Sun 31° and snow showers
- Indian Lake: Fri 35° and snow, Sat 19° and mostly cloudy, Sun 27° and snow showers
- Lake George: Fri 40° and snow, Sat 30° and partly cloudy, Sun 33° and snow showers
- Lake Placid: Fri 34° and snow, Sat 18° and snow showers, Sun 27° and snow showers
- Long Lake: Fri 35° and snow, Sat 19° and cloudy, Sun 27° and snow showers
- Malone: Fri 36° and freezing rain, Sat 22° and snow showers, Sun 30° and snow showers
- North Creek: Fri 36° and snow, Sat 22° and mostly cloudy, Sun 28° and snow showers
- Old Forge: Fri 34° and snow, Sat 18° and snow showers, Sun 26° and snow showers
- Saranac Lake: Fri 35° and snow, Sat 19° and snow showers, Sun 27° and snow showers
- Ticonderoga: Fri 39° and snow with brief sleet, Sat 28° and mostly cloudy, Sun 29° and snow showers
- Tupper Lake: Fri 34° and snow, Sat 19° and snow showers, Sun 28° and snow showers
Check the forecast for your destination and plan accordingly. Weather at the summits will be more severe, with below freezing temperatures, snow, ice, and strong winds. Take the wind chill into consideration when preparing for the weather.
Lake Colden Caretaker Report
Approximately 2.5 feet of snow had accumulated at the Colden Caretaker cabin and 3 feet of snow on summits. Snowshoes are needed on all trails in the High Peaks Wilderness, starting at the parking lots. All ski trails are skiable. Both Avalanche Lake and Lake Colden are frozen.
Snow Accumulation Report
Snow accumulation data is collected every other week and was last collected yesterday, February 3:
- Northwoods Club Road, Minerva: 18.6 inches
- Goodnow Flow Road, Newcomb: 18.8 inches
- Tahawus/Upper Works, Newcomb: 18.2 inches
- Blue Ridge Road, Newcomb: 21.4 inches
- Elk Lake Road, North Hudson: 21.2 inches
- Lake Colden: 27.5 inches
- Cedar River Road, Indian Lake: n/a
- Sagamore Road, Long Lake: n/a
- Haskell Road, Ohio: n/a
- North Lake road, Ohio: n/a
Recent Trail Notices to Know About
High Peaks Wilderness
There have been several reports of unstable snowpack on open slopes. Practice safe travel when crossing exposed areas.
For Snowmobilers: Taylor Pond Wild Forest
The Wilmington Trail, Catamount, and Taylor Pond snowmobile gates are open with good snow coverage at this time.
Leave No Trace, Winter-Style
In the winter Leave No Trace means preparing for snow and ice with proper traction (snowshoes, skis, microspikes, and crampons), avoid postholing, and remember to yield to downhill skiers (which is not just polite, but keeps you both safe).
And, stick to separate tracks when possible. Many trails are used by both snowshoers and skiers – keep these tracks separate when you can, to protect the integrity of ski tracks and to make travel safer and easier for skiers.