Modeled after Thomas Hancock's mid-18th century Boston home, the Hancock House was built in 1926 as a gift to the New York State Historical Association. Now, it houses a museum, a research library, and an art gallery.
Thomas Hancock's Colonial mansion, named the Hancock Manor, was a piece of Georgian architecture. Erected in 1737, the manor was located on Beacon Street in Boston. John Hancock, who is well known as one of the signers of the Declaration of Independence, was Thomas Hancock's nephew. He took up residence in the Hancock Manor after Thomas' death. In 1863, the site was unfortunately demolished.
Later on, in 1926, a replica of the Hancock Manor was constructed and called the Hancock House. The building was a gift from philanthropist Horace A. Moses, who lived in Ticonderoga, to the New York State Historical Association (NYSHA). He intended for the building to preserve and feature the history and fine arts of northeastern New York communities, including Lake Champlain and Lake George.
Today, the Ticonderoga Historical Society maintains the Hancock House and continues to honor the legacy of Horace A. Moses. The society helps to preserve manuscripts, newspapers, clothing, furniture, and other household and craft implements. The Hancock House was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1988.