Take in the arts and the scenery this week in the Adirondacks! Artists from across the country will begin painting the Saranac Lake region today, Monday, August 12, as part of Saranac Lake ArtWorks’ 11th annual Adirondack Plein Air Festival.
The general public is welcome to watch the 50 participating artists as they paint en plein air (in the outdoors) around the Saranac Lake area over the next several days. Jay Brooks, the winner of last year’s festival, will be among the painters.
The week culminates in an awards presentation on Friday, August 16 and a sale and silent auction on Saturday, August 17. Artist Sarah Yeoman is to judge the finished pieces on Friday at the Preview Party and Awards Presentation, with the awards totaling $6,000 in prize money.
Check out the itinerary below to find out where the artists will be each day, along with special events.
- Monday, August 12 — Visit The Hotel Saranac’s second floor terrace from 7 pm to 9 pm for a Meet and Greet with the artists. The event is open to the public and attendees can watch the participants as they paint Nocturnes.
- Tuesday, August 13 — Watch the artists as they paint along the stunning scenic trails of Paul Smiths College VIC.
- Wednesday, August 14 — Artists will be set up across the region, painting at their own chosen locations.
- Thursday, August 15 — Wander the Village of Saranac Lake to watch the artists as they paint its streets and businesses, then attend the silent auction at 5 pm in the Adirondack Artists Guild Gallery. Guests can also enjoy Saranac Lake’s Third Thursday ArtWalk, with additional artists on the scene.
- Friday, August 16 — Head out to Saranac Lake Fish & Game Club in the morning to watch the artists at work, then view the week’s finished, framed pieces at Harrietstown Town Hall at 6 pm. Explore the art created over the course of the week and find out who wins the various prizes, including 1st Place. Tickets to the Preview Party & Awards Presentation are $20 and available for purchase online ahead of time or upon arrival.
- Saturday, August 17 — Return to Harrietstown Town Hall for the Show and Sale and Silent Auction from 12 pm to 5 pm.