New York State’s plan to develop a “Gateway to the Adirondacks” at the former Frontier Town site in the Town of North Hudson has been a major project this year. The end goal is to offer visitors a new gateway hub that is easily accessible and features world-class recreational experiences.
A key part of the project is the Frontier Town Campground, Equestrian and Day Use Area, which will be operated by the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC). Recently, the state announced that phase one of the campground is finally complete, with phase two next on the schedule.
What Is the “Gateway to the Adirondacks?”
Revealed in Governor Cuomo’s 2017 State of the State agenda, the “Gateway to the Adirondacks” at the Upper Hudson Recreation Hub is a proposed tourism hub that will improve access to state lands and connect visitors to nature and the outdoors. Located at the former Frontier Town site, the project is expected to revitalize the area and boost the economies of the surrounding communities: North Hudson, Indian Lake, Long Lake, Newcomb, and Minerva.
As part of this initiative, New York State has been developing a new Frontier Town Campground, Equestrian and Day Use Area, which will be a public campground facility with 91 campsites to accommodate a wide range of camping experiences.
New York State Completes Phase One
In October 2018, New York State officially completed phase one of the Frontier Town Campground, which included the following projects:
- An equestrian camping area with space for 33 equestrian camping sites with electrical hookups and Americans with Disabilities Act-compliant features
- Trail access located off Frontier Town Road with year-round parking for 26 vehicles
- A seasonal day use area along the Schroon River shoreline with 34 parking spaces, a pavilion, two playgrounds, a comfort station, and electric vehicle charging stations
- A ticket booth at the entrance that utilizes solar energy to support part of the ticketing operations
- Two staff cabins, a recycling station, firewood storage station, and more
Moving Forward with the Campground Project
New York State has already announced their plans for phase two of the Frontier Town Campground, which will focus on a recreational vehicle and trailer camping area, a tent camping area, and electric vehicle charging stations in the tent camping area. The state believes the facility will be fully operational by summer 2019.
Are you excited for this new campground to open next year?
- Office of Governor Cuomo – Governor Cuomo Announces Completion of First Phase of Frontier Town Campground