Fort Ticonderoga isn’t the only major Adirondack attraction reopening this weekend. Catch up on everything else going on this week and throughout the month of May!
Newsy Tidbits Around the ADK: Attractions, Art Exhibit & Books
Attractions Reopening Soon – Mark Your Calendars for May!
Here are a few reopenings to look forward to:
- Fort Ticonderoga opens for the season May 1
- The Wild Center reopens on May 1
- Natural Stone Bridge & Caves reopens their caves late May
Fort Ticonderoga has been keeping up with the virtual events, but the reopening of their gorgeous grounds is exciting. The King’s Garden is probably starting to perk up about now!
The Wild Center was open for some winter activities, but has been closed all April for “spring cleaning.” And, Natural Stone Bridge & Caves offered snowshoe tours earlier this year but has been closed as of recently.
Adirondack Artists Guild Showcases Jewelry in New Exhibition
The Adirondack Artists Guild in Saranac Lake opens their summer season with “Silver, Copper, and the Blues,” an exhibit of jewelry by Toos Roozen-Evans on May 7. Necklaces created with a variety of metalworking techniques are the highlight of the exhibit.
While there will be no reception, Toos will be at the gallery on May 7 and 8, so visitors can chat with her. The show closes on May 30.
New Book on ADK Serial Killer Out Now (& Reminder of Similar Books)
A book was published just last month on Robert Garrow, the serial killer who terrorized the Adirondacks and instigated a manhunt in 1973. Author Jim Tracy told The Daily Gazette that he spent nine years working on Sworn to Silence, available to buy now wherever books are sold.
A fun fact: Robert Garrow was born in Dannemora, which has a separate manhunt connection: the 2015 escape from Clinton County Correction Facility by David Sweat and Richard Matt. There have been books written about the other Adirondack manhunt as well, which this editor can personally recommend.
I Love My Park Day & Other Adirondack Events Coming Up
Check out what else is going on:
- Great Camp Sagamore’s Virtual Gala & Benefit: now through May 5
- ADK Unite: Move to Fight Hunger: May 1 – 31
- I Love My Park Day – Warrensburg: May 1
- I Love My Park Day – North Star Underground Railroad Museum: May 1
- I Love My Park Day – John Brown Farm State Historic Site: May 1
- I Love My Park Day – Point Au Roche State Park: May 1
- Fire & Spice – Inlet: May 1
- Fort Ticonderoga Reopens: May 1
Don’t forget spring is whitewater rafting time >>
- The Daily Gazette: New book recounts 1973 Garrow murder spree in Adirondacks and summer of fear