The State has acquired additional acreage in the Park, DEC forest rangers underwent a tough rescue at Mount Marcy, and there’s more news and events to check out in the region.
Hiking Updates & News to Know
ADK Hikers Get a New Mountain
The State of New York has purchased 1,263 acres of land in the Town of Johnsburg from the Open Space Institute. The new land includes Huckleberry Mountain, it’s adjacent to Crane Mountain, and the area consists of a lot of different wildlife habitats, including the brimming-with-brook-trout Crystal Brook. The DEC is working on a plan for trail use and access to Huckleberry Mountain.
Recent Mount Marcy Rescue Tough for Hiker & Rescuers
The DEC reported that a hiker was rescued on Mount Marcy last Saturday after slipping on ice and suffering a hip injury. Although an air rescue was requested, unfavorable conditions prevented that option from being a possibility. Then, poor trail conditions led to a slow evacuation for the hiker and exhausted rescuers.
During the evacuation, one of the rescuers exhibited possible cardiac symptoms and ended up being transported to the hospital along with the hiker.
Please stay safe out there, stick to lower elevations until mud season has passed, and keep up with the weekly hiking conditions report on the Around the Region blog.
Heads Up Hikers: Multiple Vehicle Break-Ins at Trailheads Reported
Speaking of hiking, there were multiple vehicle break-ins at trailheads in the Lake George and Washington County region last weekend. It’s tempting to leave your purse and other items in the car to lighten your load while hiking, but this is a good reminder to either keep your valuables hidden from sight or bring them with you.
The Town of Indian Lake Would Like Your Photos
The Town of Indian Lake recently posted that they’re looking for photos of places in Indian Lake and Blue Mountain Lake to go on their new website. You can find them on Facebook if you’d like to submit a photo.
(We at Adirondack.net also love photos, of any of your favorite places in the Park – you can submit them to editor@Adirondack.net or message our Facebook page. We can give photo credit if we end up using them!)
Mark Your Calendar for These Upcoming Events
If you like fly fishing, the annual Ausable River Two-Fly Challenge is this weekend, and there’s another event at the Adirondack Interpretive Center for those looking to learn the sport.
Click through for details and see other events going on:
- Ausable River Two-Fly Challenge: now through Saturday, May 15
- 42nd Street Musical From The View: now through Tuesday, May 18
- Saranac Lake Spring Cleanup: May 14 – 16
- The Otter Sports Paddling Event: May 14 – 16
- Introduction to Fly Fishing at the AIC: May 15
- Build a Better Birdhouse Workshop: May 15
- Tree Planting & Litter Pick Up in Lake Luzerne: May 15
- Free Showing of 2001: A Space Odyssey at Adirondack State Theater: May 15
- Beginner Birder Outing at Crown Point State Historic Site: May 20
- CATS Event: Birding With Derek: May 21 & 22
- Spring 100 Bird Trap Shoot in Long Lake: May 22
- The Daily Gazette: Multiple vehicle break-ins at Adirondack trailheads in Lake George, Washington Co. areas, troopers warn
- News10ABC: Hikers will have more land to explore in the Adirondack Park