See what events are coming up this weekend including the Black Fly Challenge, find out which museum reopens next month, and get the latest on the hemlock woolly adelgid in Lake George. It’s all happening in the Adirondacks!
Plan Your Weekend & Beyond With ADK Events
Here’s what’s happening:
- Black Fly Challenge in Indian Lake and Inlet: June 12
- Outdoors Day at Boquet River Nature Preserve: June 12
- Outdoors Day at Willie Wildlife Marsh: June 12
- Living History Event – Fete du Fort! at Fort Ticonderoga: June 12
- Father’s Day Weekend Car Show in Old Forge: June 18 & 19
- Bass & Pike Fishing Derby in Long Lake: June 19
- Wilmington Whiteface Whiskey Run: June 19
- Adirondack Turtles at Paul Smiths College: June 19
- Woods Walk on Aquatic Invertebrates at Adirondack Interpretive Center: June 19
- Little Clear Pond Fishing Trip in Saranac Lake: June 19
- BBAIII, ebird & Silver Lake Forest Hike in Degrasse: June 19
- Sleeping Beauty Hike in Fort Ann: June 20
- Raquette River Cleanup in Tupper Lake: June 20
Browse the full events calendar for more >>
4 Newsy Tidbits to Catch Up on Around the ADK
You Can Ride Into Camp Santanoni in Style
Camp Santanoni recently posted on Facebook that Newcombe Farm of Whitehall will offer horse-drawn wagon rides into Santanoni this summer for $25 per person, round-trip. Advanced reservations are required. Find Camp Santanoni and Santanoni Preserve on Facebook for the details.
An Update on ArtWalks & ArtMarkets in Saranac Lake
Saranac Lake ArtWorks has put their Third Thursday ArtWalks on hold for 2021. These events usually consist of artwork spanning many mediums on display along Saranac Lake streets.
However, the nonprofit has teamed up with the Saranac Lake Area Chamber of Commerce to host two open-air ArtMarkets; they held one last year, in September. The outdoor, farmers market-like events are scheduled for July 24 and September 17 (with Sunday as a rain date) and will take place at Riverfront Park.
Mark Your Calendar for the Reopening of This Popular Museum
Adirondack Experience did not open for the 2020 season – but they will open for 2021 on July 1! This museum in Blue Mountain Lake has over 20 buildings spread out over 120+ acres to explore. You can also climb a fire tower, embark on a family-friendly hike, feed fish, and more.
Predator Bugs Have Been Unleashed in the Lake George Wild Forest
In the continuous fight against the invasive hemlock wooly adelgid (HWA) on the eastern side of Lake George, researchers from Cornell University’s NYS Hemlock Initiative and the DEC have teamed up to unleash the next combative effort: insects who are predators to the HWA.
Two kinds of silver flies were introduced recently, and one type of beetle last fall. All are native to the Pacific Northwest and all love to eat the HWA. These HWA-seeking insects could prove to be a better long-term solution than pesticides.
Have you been whitewater rafting yet? Hit the rapids this season >>
- Adirondack Explorer: NY unleashes predator bugs to eat hemlock pests