Fort Ticonderoga continues to host fun events, we were able to obtain a photo of one of the bugs in the Saranac Lake Bug Crawl, and a certain Adirondack creature is making itself known in the Essex area.
Events Happening to Check Out Around the ADK
Check out what’s happening below, including some Fourth of July fireworks in Hague that got rescheduled to this weekend:
- Battle of Carillon Commemoration at Fort Ticonderoga: July 8
- Adirondack Turtles at Paul Smiths College: July 9
- Food Truck Fridays in Brant Lake: July 9 (and other dates)
- Otter Talk at The View: July 9
- Chestertown Summerfest: July 10
- AARCH & Preservation of Camp Santanoni: July 10 (and August 7)
- 44th Annual Mayor’s Cup Regatta: July 10
- Runabout Rendezvous in Saranac Lake: July 10
- Adirondack Center Stage Car Wash & Bake Sale: July 10
- Community Bike Ride in Plattsburgh: July 11
- Hague Independence Day Fireworks: July 11 (rescheduled from July 3)
- Summer Movie Express with Lego Ninjago & Trolls World Tour: July 13 & 14
- Wildlife Wednesday at AIC – Common Loons: July 14
More Things to Do & Know About in the ADK
Reminder: You Can Have Your Kids Hunt Bugs in Saranac Lake
Kid and bug-lovers can track down half a dozen beautifully sculpted insects in Saranac Lake in an insect-filled scavenger hunt. Can you find a luna month, mayfly, monarch, dragon fly, honey bee, and at least one ladybug? Get a photo with each, and then report to the Welcome Center at Town Hall on Main Street for a prize.
Need help? Check out a brochure with a map here: https://www.saranaclake.com/f/listing/15620/info/brochure-bug-crawl.pdf
Minerva Historical Sign Honors 12 Years a Slave Author
According to a tweet from Times Union editor Leigh Hornbeck, there is now a historical marker honoring Solomon Northup in Minerva, set up last weekend. Solomon Northup is the author of the autobiography Twelve Years a Slave (there’s a movie of the same name); he’s normally associated with Saratoga Springs, where there is already a historical marker, but he was born in Minerva in 1808.
Ticonderoga Area Farmers Market Starts on Saturday
The Ticonderoga Area Farmers Market begins on July 10 and runs through September 25 on Saturdays from 10am to 1pm. They’ll have free market bags from Hudson Headwaters Health Network, a free food activity book for kids from Adirondack Harvest, and free recipes each week from the Ticonderoga Area Chamber of Commerce.
Increase in Rattlesnake Sightings Near Lake Champlain
Speaking of crawling creatures, Adirondack Explorer reports that Split Rock Mountain in Essex, known for rattlesnakes, is seeing even more of the reptile this year. There is no obvious reason for the rise in rattlesnakes, although climate change is one of the possible explanations.
Check out a viral Facebook video of a rattlesnake in Essex: https://www.facebook.com/chris.depinto.3/videos/201750741839334
- Adirondack Explorer: Rattlesnake sightings on the ride in the Champlain Valley