The last Food Truck Friday on the Pond in Brant Lake is tomorrow, but that’s not all! Get ready for an epic food festival in Lake Placid over Labor Day Weekend, and see what else is going on in the Adirondacks.
ADK Events Happening Now Up to Labor Day Weekend
Check Out Upcoming Events Around the Park
- Food Truck Friday in Brant Lake: August 27 (this is the last one!)
- ididaride! Virtual Adirondack Bike Tour: August 27 – September 6
- Woods Walk at Adirondack Interpretive Center: August 28
- Herbs in the ADK at Tannery Pond Center: August 28
- Annual CCE Golf Tournament at Cronin’s: August 28
- Mohawk & Abenaki Art Market at Adirondack Experience: August 28
- Pat Stratton Ride in Saranac Lake: August 28
- An Iliad – Pendragon Theatre: through August 29
- Summer Movie Express in Plattsburgh – Secret Life of Pets & Dolittle: August 31 – September 1
- Inlet Society’s Recent Photo Acquisitions: September 2
- Lost Lake – Pendragon Theatre: September 2
- Plein Air Paint Out in Old Forge: September 2 – 5
Looking Ahead: Make Labor Day Weekend Plans Now
Labor Day is the weekend after this one, so plan ahead for the last big hurrah of the summer. We suggest checking out the I Love BBQ & Music Festival, happening in Lake Placid on September 3 to 5. In addition to barbecue competitions and tastings, and live music each day from a slew of local and Capital Region performers, brand new this year is a professional wrestling competition and an antique car show.
All proceeds from this event go to the Shipman Youth Center, also in Lake Placid. Over the years this popular annual event has raised over $300,000 for this important organization.
3 Newsy Tidbits to Know Around the Park With a Preserve & More
There’s a New Nature Preserve in Essex
Champlain Area Trails (CATS) is hosting a Grand Opening Celebration on September 18 for the newly opened Essex Quarry Nature Preserve. The event will consist of a ribbon cutting ceremony, a self-guided hike, live music, kids activities, and refreshments. Organizers ask attendees to sign up in advance.
Adirondack Railway Preservation Society Seeks Donations for Fall Train
The Adirondack Railway Preservation Society (ARPS), operator of the Adirondack Railroad, has decided to purchase a former Canadian National M420W 3573 to serve on the Adirondack Railroad for this autumn, but the nonprofit needs your help to make it happen!
You can find out more, check out photos, and donate at their GoFundMe page here: https://charity.gofundme.com/o/en/campaign/adkrailroad
ADK Mountain Club Looks to Make Move to Lake Placid
The Adirondack Mountain Club is looking to purchase the Cascade Ski Center and has applied for state funding to do so, according to Lake Placid News. The Club hopes to open the privately owned cross-country ski trails to the public through a public easement, possibly even adapting the trails for year-round use. They also want to use the main building for hiker education and outreach.
The ADK Mountain Club recently put their headquarters in Lake George up for sale; the nonprofit group would use at least part of the revenue from that sale in addition to grant money to fund the ski center purchase.