Enjoy this weekend’s events, finish (or start!) your holiday shopping, and read up on news around the Adirondack Park, including a trail update and a record high camping season.
Snodeo, Snowmobiler Shootout & More ADK Events
Let the holiday and winter fun continue! Here’s what’s happening:
- Ticonderoga Historical Society December Mixer: December 9
- Ha-Ha-Holiday Comedy Show in Lake George: December 10
- Light There be Lights! In Indian Lake: December 10 & 11
- Old Tyme Christmas Celebration in Schroon Lake: December 10 & 11
- Lake Placid Holiday Village Stroll: December 10 – 12
- Snodeo in Old Forge: December 10 – 12
- Opening Day at McCauley Mountain: December 11
- Adirondack Health Jingle Bell Run in Lake Placid: December 11
- Inlet’s 32nd Annual American Snowmobiler Shootout: December 11
- Santa’s Firetruck Parade in Lake Placid: December 12
- Free Showing of Polar Express at The Place Theatre: December 12
- A Seussified Christmas Carol at the Pendragon Theatre: December 16 – 19
- Festival of Trees at the Hancock House: through December 31
- Wild Lights at The Wild Center: through February
Looking Ahead: Online Winter Workshops Announced
Register for one or both of these online winter workshops offered by the DEC, so you can be prepared and confident when enjoying outdoor recreational activities this winter:
Winter Survival 101: This 4-hour course on December 17 costs $30, and is an introductory program that will cover proper clothing, map and compass navigation, tips to stay warm, and other skills and tips.
Winter 46 High Peaks Workshop: This 8-hour course on December 19 costs $50, and is for those looking to scale the High Peaks this season.
News to Know This Week: A Trail Update, A Campground Record Broken & More
Popular Lake Placid Trail Gets an Upgrade
The Adirondack Mountain Club is rerouting a section of the Mt. Jo Trail, located on their property in Lake Placid, reports Adirondack Explorer. The trail needs upgrades thanks to an increase in foot traffic, and also because of weatherizing. Trail work is expected to conclude in the fall of 2023.
ADK Outdoor Enthusiasts Have a New Incentive to Get the Vaccine
The DEC has announced a new initiative to motivate individuals to get the COVID vaccine. During the month of December, anyone who receives their first COVID vaccine dose is eligible to enter the Take Your Shot for an Outdoor Adventure Sweepstakes.
Those entered will have a chance to win a special prize package customized for anglers, hunters, and other outdoor enthusiasts. Five entrants will be randomly selected to choose one of several packages centered around fishing, bowhunting, rifle hunting, turkey hunting, or birding.
Get the details here: https://www.dec.ny.gov/press/124288.html
State Campgrounds in the ADK Broke a Record This Year
According to Adirondack Daily Enterprise 1.1 million campers stayed in Adirondack campgrounds in 2021; this breaks the former 2016 record of 1,017,492. The 2020 season probably would have been significantly higher as well, but the season was cut short because of COVID restrictions, with many campgrounds not opening until the end of June (this year they opened mid-May).
Holiday Shopping? Here Are Some Ideas for ADK Gifts
As of this Saturday, Christmas is two weeks away. If you’re ordering anything online now is the time to do so, to ensure it arrives on time.
Lake Placid News tweeted yesterday that you can call the Adirondack Daily Enterprise at 518.891.2600 to purchase their 2022 calendar for only $4. Back in September, the two publications put out a call for submissions to their calendar photo contest, and have chosen 14 Adirondack photos to be featured in this calendar.
And of course, there’s a plethora of Adirondack- and Lake George-themed gift ideas in the North Country Gift Guide.