New York State Fishing License: Cost, Exemptions & More
The Adirondack Park is home to thousands of lakes and rivers that are an angler's paradise. Before you grab your bait and hook, make sure you know the info on New York State fishing licenses.
Buy Your NYS Fishing License
Anyone fishing in New York State (with a few exceptions) is required to obtain a fishing license before going fishing. Fishing licenses can be purchased for the entire year, a week, or just a day.
Licenses are available to New York State residents as well as out of state residents. Upon purchase of a fishing license, you will be given a booklet entitled "New York Freshwater Fishing Regulations". You are responsible for knowing the regulations in this booklet before you go fishing.
Buy your sporting license online »
More information on NYS Fishing Licenses »
A Rundown on the Fishing License Fees
New York State Residents:
- Senior License (70+ or Military Disabled): $5.00
- Annual Fishing License: $25.00
- 7-Day Fishing License: $12.00
- 1-Day Fishing License: $5.00
New York State residents can also obtain a lifetime fishing license, the price of which varies depending on your age. Get more info on lifetime licenses »
- Annual Fishing License: $50.00
- 7-Day Fishing License: $28.00
- 1-Day Fishing License: $10.00
Fishing License Guidelines
- You are required to have your license on your person while exercising any privilege of that license.
- You are required to present your license to any police officer, peace office, or the owner, lessee, or other person in control of the lands or waters on which you are fishing.
- A fishing license does not authorize you to trespass on private property.
These Are the Exemptions
- Free fishing weekends (more on that below!)
- Anyone fishing on licensed fishing preserves
- Citizens that are occupying and cultivating farmland, when fishing on their own land
- Anyone holding farm fish pond licenses and members of their immediate families, when fishing waters that are covered by license
- Free licenses are available to certain groups, more on that here »
Free Fishing Weekends: 2023
Free Fishing Days in New York State typically happen four times a year, and may encompass one day or two days (a weekend).
The 2023 Free Fishing Days are: February 18 & 19, June 24 & 25, September 23, and November 11.
See more info on Free Fishing Days >>
See fishing seasons in the Adirondacks >>