Camp near the southern edge of the High Peaks Wilderness at Lake Harris Campground, located in Newcomb, NY.
The Lake Harris Campground is the perfect place to start your High Peaks adventure or admire the majestic mountains from afar. The registration booth, parking lot, and picnic areas are located on the eastern end, while the campsites are set up along the northern shore. The Hudson River -- which flows downstream from its source near Mount Marcy -- feeds into Lake Harris at the southeastern end. Nearby High Peaks attractions include Great Camp Santanoni, Tahawus, the McIntyre Iron Furnace, Santanoni Peak, and Mount Marcy.
- Boating on Lake Harris (canoes, rowboats, and motorboats)
- Hiking Goodnow and Vanderwhacker Mountains (both feature fire towers)
- Hiking trails at the Santanoni Preserve and the SUNY ESF Adirondack Interpretive Center in Newcomb
- Hiking the High Peaks Wilderness, starting from the trail head in Tahawus
- Fishing (northern pike, walleye, yellow perch, bullhead, smallmouth bass, and largemouth bass)
- Visiting local attractions, like Santanoni Preserve Historic Site and the SUNY ESF Adirondack Interpretive Center
- 89 campsites; 57 are located on the shore
- restrooms with hot showers
- picnic area on eastern shore
- informal boat launch within campground
- town boat launch on the western end of the lake
- firewood sales
- trailer dump station
- recycling center