Covered in this week’s roundup: upcoming events from Turkey Trots to Christmas on Main Street to A North Country Christmas, along with more holiday happenings and a fun shoutout for a children’s museum in the Adirondacks.
Holiday Events Kick Off In Spades This Weekend
This week will bring us to Thanksgiving, Black Friday, and Small Business Saturday, and the holiday happenings just keep coming:
- Adirondack Health 5K Turkey Trot in Lake Placid: November 25
- Saranac Lake Turkey Trot: November 25
- Holiday Stroll & Tree Lighting in Speculator: November 26
- Christmas on Main Street in Inlet and Old Forge: November 26 – 28
- Wild Lights at Wild Center Opens to Public: November 27
- Trail Opening: Spirit Sanctuary Trail: November 27
- Holiday Festival of Lights Starts in Lake George: November 27
- Small Business Saturday in Ticonderoga: November 27
- Taste of the Tri-Lakes and Memory Tree Lighting in Chestertown: November 27
- Ticonderoga Area North Country Christmas: November 27 – December 5
- Best 4th in the North Chicken BBQ Fundraiser: December 2
Your Quick News Around the Park
North Country Children’s Museum Gets a Nod From Newsday
Newsday recently covered six children’s museums in New York State to visit this winter, and the North Country Children’s Museum in Potsdam was one of them! The publication mentioned Adirondack Water Play as one of the must-try features of the museum; this interactive exhibit allows kids to learn about the area’s hydropower dams and river-based environment.
Holiday Lights Contest Times Three
Both Long Lake and Raquette Lake are once again hosting Holiday Lights Contests. If you live in the area, deck out your digs, and judging will take place for both contests on December 22 at 5pm. Long Lake residents and businesses can sign up by calling 518.624.3077; Raquette Lake is not requiring a signup.
In addition, Saranac Lake is hosting their second annual Light Up the Town event, which includes Saranac Lake and surrounding areas. There is a $25 fee to register and get your home or business on the map – all entries receive $50 in free power from Northern Power and Light. Register by December 10 by going here: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSd14AWb-EzKuW11-BOe8qwHSj3XmmpWAcSmvKlCi7JfGkkRDg/viewform
Ticonderoga Jacket & Coat Giveaway Is Underway
The Ticonderoga Revitalization Alliance posted on Facebook about a Jacket & Coat Giveaway at Sugar and Spice Country Store starting on December 6. From now until then, if you’re in the area, please consider dropping of a gently used coat, hat, scarf, or boots that you’re ready to part with. They’re open daily 10am to 4pm.
First Night Saranac Lake Cancelled Again
First Night Saranac Lake has been cancelled due to the pandemic for the second year. The event’s Board of Directors told Sun Community News that they cannot accurately predict what the COVID numbers in the area will be on New Year’s Eve, and want to help keep the numbers down. They are looking forward to coming back next year, and are seeking new board members to help out with the event.
- Newsday: 6 children’s museums to visit in New York State this winter