Another gold medal was recently awarded near the Olympic village of Lake Placid. New York’s winner of Weather.com’s “Most Amazing Hikes in Every State” was recently announced to be Whiteface Mountain, the legendary skier’s haven and one of the 46 Adirondack High Peaks.
The Wilmington Trail on Whiteface Mountain, the fifth-highest peak in the entire state, showcases spectacular views of the Adirondack Park, Vermont, and if you’re lucky, Montreal. Although there are a few ways to reach the summit, the Wilmington Trail is the most rewarding and breathtaking way to experience Whiteface Mountain.
5 Things You Should Know Before Hiking The Wilmington Trail
- Total distance: 10.4 miles
- Elevation: 4,867-feet
- Plan to take around 8.5 hours
- You can climb Esther Mountain in the same adventure to complete two high peaks in one trip
- Not a hiker? You can drive up to the summit using the Whiteface Veterans’ Memorial Highway – a less taxing way to visit the same summit.
However you decide to reach the peak, prepare to experience 360-degree views from New York’s best hike.
What is your favorite NY hike?
This summit leaving you wanting more? Check out our full Adirondack Hiking Guide >>
- Weather.com – Most Amazing Hikes In Every State (Content no longer available on website)
- CNY Hiking- Whiteface Mountain