The Saranac Lake 6er Hiking Challenge: Hike Around the Lake
EDITOR'S NOTE (6/8/23): Several people have contacted us about issues with payment processing on the Saranac Lake 6er registration page. The Saranac Lake 6er hiking challenge is run by the Village of Saranac Lake. If you encounter any issues, please contact the Village directly. You can report a problem by submitting their Contact Form and choosing "Website Problem," or, by calling the Villages Offices at (518) 891-4150.
The Village of Saranac Lake and the Saranac Lake 6er Challenge invite you to you to climb the 6 Adirondack mountains that surround Saranac Lake.
The 6er Mountains include:
- McKenzie - 10 mi | 2221' Ascent | 3822' Elevation
- Ampersand - 5.4 mi | 1775' Ascent | 3353' Elevation
- Scarface - 6.8 mi | 1480' Ascent | 3054' Elevation
- Haystack - 6.6 mi | 1302' Ascent | 2864' Elevation
- St. Regis - 6.6 mi | 1266' Ascent | 2874' Elevation
- Baker* - 1.8 mi | 884' Ascent | 2452' Elevation
* Starting at Baker Mountain trailhead no longer counts for the 6er program. To earn a 6er title, one must start and end their Baker Mountain summit (on foot) from the 6er bell, located in Berkeley Green Park.
- You may complete the 6er challenge in as much time as you like. If it takes months, years, even decades, you can still be a 6er
- All 6 peaks must be climbed on or after May 25, 2013
- Hikers can become Ultra 6ers by summiting all six peaks in 24 hours
- Hikers can become Winter 6ers by climbing the peaks during the winter season
- No biking
- No boating
- Obey all NYS Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) rules
- Obey all traffic rules
- No trespassing
- Use proper trail etiquette - "Leave-No-Trace"
- Always call DEC Emergency Dispatch in case of emergency: 518-891-0235
- Know your limits and weather conditions
Once a hiker has finished this challenge, they must register online and pay the $15 registration fee. All the information, including start and finish times for each mountain, must be completed.
In return, hikers receive their 6er swag: a patch, sticker, member number, and bragging rights - plus they get to ring the traditional 6er bell!
Register here for the challenge.