The Northern Pathways Challenge: Hike 3 Clinton County Trails
The Northern Pathways Challenge is brought to us by Champlain Area Trails (CATS), and requires hikers to take on three of five Clinton County trail options. Champlain Area Trails works to create trails, save lands, and connect people with nature in New York's Champlain Valley.
Image provided by CATS Northern Pathways Challenge.
The Trails & Rules of the Challenge
You can register in advance or after completing three of the five following hikes:
Mud Pond Road/Old Military Road Trail
- Moderate to Difficult
- Access off Patent Road in Peru; park where the pavement ends
Ausable Marsh Trail
- Take Ausable Point Road in Peru to the parking area
Lyon Mountain Trail
- Difficult, includes a fire tower
- Trailhead parking is on Lowenburg Road in Lyon Mountain
Little Ausable River Trail
- Easy, paved trail
- Parking is available at Heyworth/Mason Park in Peru
Point au Roche's Long Point Trail
- Parking is available at Point au Roche State Park in Plattsburgh
As you can see, three of the above hikes are easy, so beginners can complete this challenge as well!
The registration is $5 per person and you can register here. You can also mail a check to PO Box 193, Westport, NY 12993. Each registrant receives a CATS Northern Pathways Challenge patch.